Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Compound

I've been ready to go shooting since 9am this morning. Unfortunately due to the crowds and locations we were planning on perusing combined with the fact that we're white with large expensive camera gear it's too dangerous to go out as planned. There's thousands of people on the streets today and everything is congested. We might go sit on the terraces downtown later and drink beer and try to catch Sappeurs as they walk by.

I knew before coming out here that my freedom would be drastically limited and yet it's hard not to become frustrated. When talking to one of the bureaucrats at USAID last night I asked him if he thought it was safe enough to go on walks outside the compound with Owen and he said absolutely not. The economy is forcing people into more desperate circumstances right now and in Kinshasa white skin = money. I intentionally don't carry cash or my passport on me, but I often have a camera. When stopped at traffic lights with car windows down I have to be careful people don't reach in and steal things off my lap.

Anyway to postpone afternoon boredom I thought I'd share our "compound" (ie office headquarters, house, and garden, surrounded by a huge wall). Here is our ramshackle yet charming center:



Here is our circular pool and fantastic guard dog Keba:



She deserves a close-up because she's utterly gorgeous.



This is the Congolese kitchen in our backyard. They cook over coal fires and make masses of food every day for the crew. It's delicious! I was shy taking this because I haven't formally introduced myself yet (I'm not positive they speak French) and I want to do a whole series on their cooking processes sometime soon anyway.



Here is our kitchen inside. I could stand at this window and watch the garden for HOURS. All sorts of lizards and birds dash by when they think I can't see them.



I'll save the rest of the interior for another day. Time for more tea! And to double-check my cameras are loaded with film in case we actually make it out tonight.

4 comments:

  1. How many people live in the compound, and are they all crew members on the show?

    Must be really frustrating to be in such a place but not be able to go out and explore on your own. Kind of freaky actually, but probably kind of exciting too?

    Jealous of your nice doggie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi dan! there's only four of us living at the compound--it's really office headquarters so starting at 7am the house is filled with people. it's nice when everyone goes home at the end of the day.
    going out is exciting and the concept of staying in because of the danger is exciting but the actual act of being stuck inside these huge walls is totally annoying. though being out and about in kinshasa IS exhausting too--last night we went out on the town congolese style for 4 hours and by the end of it i was totally overstimulated by the noise and goat-slaughtering and stares we got. weird balance that must be created...
    anyway you should come visit and make a movie or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goat-slaughtering!? Like, on the streets? Hardcore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yep, right on the street. luckily the terrace we were at had a power outage so i could only see the dim outline of it hanging by its back legs, and by the time it was killed it was too dark to see anything. but the screaming....! last night our driver fiston kept baaa-ing like a slaughtered goat because he was hungry. it's apparently background noise here.

    ReplyDelete