Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Mangosteen


Let's move on from war to fruit. These gorgeous mysterious creatures go by the name "Mangosteen". Anyone who has ever eaten one should have their mouths watering by now.

The closest thing I can compare them to is a lychee, but they're much creamier, and come in slippery little segments, like an orange. I love them because the skin is so thick I don't have to worry about scrubbing them with bleach before I eat them. There's a reason they're called the "queen of fruits".


Mangosteen only grow in very hot climates and are rumored to have the same antioxidant properties and pomegranates, blueberries, and the ever-trendy acai berry. Unfortunately they're incredibly difficult to find in the USA because of fears that they carry the Asian Fruit Fly. Rumor has it that they can only be found in specialty New York City stores for $45 a pound.

With that in mind I'm eating as many as I can get my hands on. You'd do the same if you had them offered to you on the street at 10 for $4.


The season is ending and I'm seeing less and less women with overflowing baskets of mangosteen on their heads. I was mourning the loss of them just as I'd discovered their lusciousness, until I learned that soon the papayas in my garden would be ripening. I can see them out the bathroom window as I shower and I'm watching their green skin slowly turn slightly yellow. I'm already plotting ways to get them down from their tall trees...

6 comments:

  1. Sounds tasty!

    Every day at work I walk down the block hoping to see the fruit vendor back for the summer. Nothing like cheap, delicious fruit in large quantities. I think they might be the best thing about LA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude I am seriously thinking about finding a way to export them to the USA. Though all my profits would probably go to bribing all the Congolese police and businessmen involved. But SERIOUSLY they could be the new big thing. I swear in 5 years you'll get sick of hearing their name on tv commercials listing their anti-aging benefits in oil of olay moisturizers.

    Ask Owen to bring you one back, he generally seems to have no qualms about carrying questionable substances when flying.

    Let me know when the fruit vendor reappears and I'll hop down to LA and eat pineapples with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ate a pear today... pretty exotic for Beantown. I also had a dried mangosteen from Trader Joe's. Yum! Can I take your place there when you're done?

    ReplyDelete
  4. for some reason i'm in awe of that fruit. so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AJ! Kinshasa doesn't have a gallery! Aside from the Ambassador's house which is private. I mean, no one here has any money either, but we could employ and mentor Congolese on hanging art and sell it to rich USAID or US Embassy people. Come build one with me--concrete is only $35 a bag.

    Also, I cannot IMAGINE dried mangosteen. They're so juicy they drips all over my clothes and leav my hands sticky. But I'll totally try them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy, they are good! We have them back in Brazil :)

    ReplyDelete